What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Friday, September 24, 2010

taking the roasting pan for a spin

Loyal bloggoids,

To convince fall weather and fall smells and sights to hurry up and get here so I dont have to sweat my balls off as I ride my bike to class everyday....I decided to do a pork roast. The only piece of pork I had in the freezer was a Pork Tenderloin. C'est la vie eh? I marinated it (rubbed it down) with

-Olive oil
-Fresh Parsley
-Salt
-Pepper
-Cumin
-Soy sauce

Then, cubed and placed around the meat...

-2 large potatoes, peeled
-2 large onions, quartered and halved
-3 medium apples, peeled and cored
-1/2 a head of garlic, left whole to roast
I would have preferred to add some carrots but I was fresh out, however I did add one Peach which was about to expire and found that it added a nice sweet flavoring, however Dan wasnt sure if he liked it.

I salted and peppered these ingredients and added them around and over the roast. Then I poured on a little cooking sherry and a few tablespoons of butter. I covered the pot and stuck it in the oven.

The general rule of thumb (a direct quote from Thee Mark Smith) for roasts is to cook them about 15-20 mins per pound at 325. I didnt have a meat thermometer so I took his word for it and sho nuff, my 1.44 lb roast was done in about 35 mins.

A tip of vital importance...Let the pot stand for 12-15 mins after removing from heat. Important cooking continues to happen after removed from the heat. This is how you get that nice pink center that melts in your mouth. Try not to remove the top until it has set for a few minutes...if you can contain yourself. because it smells devilishly amazing.

Hopefully fall will come soon, but I hope you enjoy this meal on some frosty fall nights. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. a. RUBDOWNS $2
    2. I love a good piece of pork
    d. Mark Smith is a meat GOd.

    ReplyDelete