What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Saturday, December 11, 2010

i need your hellllp

me and mr. fj are hosting a grand christmas feast (no roast beast though).

anyone have any awesome xmas recipes (please don't suggest croque en bouche! yikers). all I can think about is ham...if you've got any ideas for me, please post and comment.

here's a recipe for you; I'm not sure if I posted it already? I make it all the time, I know I shared it with colleen once. it's so so so so so soooooooooooooooo YUUUUUUMMY and nice and fattening and warm, perfect for monday when it's supposed to be balls-ass-cold and snowy. cut the recipe in half unless you're feeding like 8 people... this makes a ton (and don't save any for leftovers...it's not good leftover).


  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, divided, at room temperature
  • 2 cups parboiled long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat 1/2 of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmercovered for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.

In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes untilaromatic. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in the cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp cream sauce over the rice and serve.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/nonna-lunas-rice-recipe/index.html

3 comments:

  1. We always do ham and au gratin taters in my family for xmas but some people do turkey, which could be tasty... or perhaps a nice pork tenderloin!!!
    Allison and I served up a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon with apple/gravy sauce as per Lily's previous blog entry. I served it with regular potatoes and sweet potatoes cubed, spiced and baked in the oven. I also made a delish fresh kale salad with hot bacon vinagarette.
    I also have a recipe for a delicious RUM CAKE!! which makes any holiday meal complete. I will be serving it at my holiday cocktail party and maybe lighting it on fire for a more dramatic effect. I also am in the possession of Monica's choc. decadent cake also a dessert to die for and you know what they say... "If you end with a great dessert, they won't remember if the rest of the meal was unsatisfactory!"

    Let me know if you want any of the above recipes and I will provide. I also just got a great book called The Soup Bible if you want to make some gumbo or something.

    PS. Let's all post our favorite xmas cookie recipes!!!
    PPS thanks for the reminder of this recipe I never made it but really want to!!
    PPPS there will be homemade SAUSAGE at my party this weekend
    PPPPS i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. da-huuuuuude, gimme monica's decadent cake recipe! p.s. might you be banned forever from naples if you divulge monica's secrets? I remember making those when I worked there and can't remember anything besides licking batter and literally creaming my jeans looking at them in the fridge.

    we're a ham fam too, so gratin sounds perfect. I'll look into it.

    and I'm working on my fav. cookie recipe. I will share soon.

    p.s. HOMEMADE SAUSIIIIGE, I'm gonna die. do you have the kitchen aid sausage maker attachment? if so, I'm jealz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like sausage. and chocolate cake. and cookies. yuuum.

    annnd i'm trying 4 new recipes for holiday treats right now. I'll give you guys the recipes of my favorites when i've taste tested alll of them.

    ReplyDelete