What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Monday, September 26, 2011

You Lika Da Peppa... Part 1

September is my favorite month for a variety of reasons but one of the best of these reasons is the plethora of produce just waiting to be frantically canned or preserved in some manner before the long cold winter comes upon us. My garden is brimming with tomatoes and peppers, trees are becoming heavy with pears and apples  and so I fire up my stove (once again wishing it had six burners), crank the tunes, tie on my apron and cook, cook, cook.

Last week, I put in a request for my little market girl to bring me some peppers from the market for my summer stash of hot pepper jam had been depleted by some hungry boys. Fortunately/Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what to make of it she procured 3 large bags of peppers for a mere seven bones, enough for pepper jam and so much more. You may notice the part one on this post because I created far to much amazing deliciousness with these peppers than can be described in one post. First, I will share with you what I stored in my little Ball jars in my "Long Cold Winter Cupboard" which I once again wish was larger, ahh the foolish dreams of a food freak!

Hot Peppa Jam
Chop finely 1 cup of jalapeno peppers and 3 cups of sweet peppers (mix of red and green). I highly recommend the use of a food processor for this or it will take you forevverr! Place peppers in a large pot with one packet of Sure Jell and 1 cup of cider vinegar. Let come to a rolling boil ex: you try to stir down that boil and you can't Buster! Stir in 5 cups of sugar and return to a boil. Cook for 1 minute. Put in sterilized jam jars and can. It will set up when cool.

Now you may be asking... What do I do with a jam of hot peppers.. put it on my toast??
Answer: Yes! and more!
1. Best used on crackers with cream cheese or regular cheese
2. On Grilled/ baked fish
3. On grilled cheese, eggs... with a spoon??

And the best part of these little jars of heaven... Gift for a friend? Jam!!  Dish to pass? Pepper Jam!!! Spontaneous Happy Hour with Friends and No Hors D'overes?? Pepper Jam. In fact, the last time this happened to me I had people throwing money at me begging for pepper jam party favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment