What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spring Market Inspiration

Nothing inspires me more to get wild in the kitchen than a morning at the Rochester Public Market. After weeks away, I finally was able to get there last Saturday. Clad in my weekend jeans and flannel with my fabulous woven basket, I wove my way through the crowds of shoppers scooping out produce and bargains seeking cooking inspiration. I always attempt to create a list before heading out to avoid buying way more food than I can eat in a week, but all those delightful vegetables always manage to seduce me. Just as I was ready to return home with chilled hands and a basket of onions, asparagus, peppers, grapes and other goodies, I was reeled in by a leafy bunch of greens.. fresh spinach and next to it radishes. I have never made anything with radishes but recently in my obsessive food reading they have been springing up everywhere igniting a fond curiosity. So what other choice did I have then to have the woman throw in a bunch of radishes with my bundle of spinach.
Monday night in an energetic burst I set about cooking three meals at once: Chorizo Red Pepper Omelet (Monday Dinner), Sweet Potato-Black Bean Veggie burgers (intended for Tuesday dinner but Chinese food won.. gonna try for Thursday) and Radish-Inspired Salad (Tuesday lunch). Here follows a fabulous recipe for a really tasty, healthy, and filling salad perfect for lunch to sustain you through a pre-vacation healthy eating week.. until you get sucked in by Sesame Chicken and eggrolls but.. that's a story for another day.

Radish-Inspired Salad
Cook 1/2 cup of quinoa with 1 cup of water until water is absorbed. Chill.
Clean a few cups of spinach and chop into bite sized pieces (You can use any greens you want. I used spinach because I had it; it's delicious; it's healthy).
Thinly slice 2-3 radishes (This task made me put mandoline up towards the top of my list of Kitchen Tools I Really Want/Need)
Place quinoa atop spinach. Top with sliced radishes and chopped pecans.
Mix 2 Tbl real maple syrup, 3 Tbl balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbl olive oil to make a dressing. Drizzle atop.
This is so yummy you won't even realize how healthy it is and you will probably want to lick the left over dressing out of the bowl.. just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment