What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

a little softshoe gentle sway.

I roasted my first pumpkin the other day. It was a milestone. Really it was practice for the pumpkin beer that Colleen and I will be brewing on Thursday (All the ingredients are finally in place. The fact that they arrived in an old Pampers box is a fact that I'm just going to ignore). Originally, I was going to make these pumpkin bars from the Moosewood Dessert Cookbook. They're always a hit with the kids & gentlemen in your life. Unfortunately, Colleen got the aforementioned cookbook in the divorce settlement. So I had to improvise. All the recipes for pumpkin bars online only have cinnamon for the spice. Big mistake. Huge.
I finally settled on a pumpkin cookie recipe from a cookbook in my cupboard that is so ancient I don't even know the name of it.
1 c. sugar
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. shortening
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel (i used OJ)
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon (like the other recipes, this one only listed cinnamon. I was going to add ginger & nutmeg, but I decided to be a pampered chef and used this little spice combo called cinnamon plus. I'm not really sure what the plus entailed but it was along the lines of other pumpkin spices and maybe a few little other extras...if you know what i mean)
1/4 tsp salt
*the recipe also calls for raisins & nuts. I prefer chocolate chips. Totally your call though.

Heat oven to 375.
Mix sugar, shortening, pumpkin and orange juice. Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips or any other misc addition of your choosing. If you're like me, you'll bake the first tray before remembering to add the chocolate chips. Oh well...all aspiring chefs are absentminded. That's why the contessa is barefoot right?

Bake 10ish minutes. There's a glaze for them which i didn't use because i had to go to work and ran out of time. Honestly, they're plenty sweet without the glaze.
For the sake of posterity:

Lt. Brown Glaze
1/4 c. butter
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 Tbsp of milk.

Heat butter. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add milk til smooooooth.

Also, I made an apple salsa which was devine (literally, it had white wine in it). I'll tell you all about it when you're older.

Annnnd, the vampire weekend cover of that bruce springsteen song. i just can't get enough. I've probably mentioned it but i'm going to keep rementioning it until i can listen to it without involuntarily playing air piano.





7 comments:

  1. I know this recipe and cookbook you speak of. The cookbook is one of my favs and is entitled The NEW Betty Crocker although today it is not so new... One clue being the June Cleaver-esqe intro about the modern woman cooking pot roast for her husband when he comes home from work. Despite that it contains some high quality recipes.

    I find the glaze to be wonderful when no chocolate chips are involved....

    Speaking of cooked squashes... Butternut is a divine substitution for pumpkin in bars, cookies and pies! WHO knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both the new betty crocker and the moosewood. i'm living the cookbook royal life. dont forget joy of cooking.

    also, if you're really good and i get permission, i'll post my grandmothers pumpkin cookie recipe (also containing chocolate chips). Not until i make them though, which will be very soon. As soon as i get my hands on roasted pumpkin or libbys supreme.

    Yum yum and lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. i demand this apple salsa recipe immediately-like yesterday, also the cookies sound delish

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are so many things about this post that made me laugh. I was going to post my recipe for pumpkin bars -
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-squares

    theyre awesome. i made them for friendsgiving last year - they just use pumpkin pie spice, which you might not think is worth buying but I bought it just to make this recipe. heck, I'll even SHARE it if you want. just throwin' that out there.

    also, I'm older now. I got apples a-wastin' away on my counter...please share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apple salsa (it's actually really simple and I just threw a bunch of shit together):

    Chop up 6 cloves of garlic very finely (i used my mom's pampered chef chopper to expedite the process). Also chop up an onion or two. Chop very very finely 2-3 apples (depending on the size. i like em big so i just used 1 gigantic apple).
    I also added verjooz which is a cabernet franc vinegar type juice.
    (sidenote: this was actually the reason I made the salsa. We have like 812 bottles of it that we need to sell, so we figured we'd hype it up by putting a salsa made with it out for tasting. Originally i was going to make the apricot black bean salsa featured on the back of the bottle but I couldn't find any apricots. This is what it turned into. We sold 2 bottles of verjooz this day. yes. i also got a compliment from a man who just returned from mexico and said it was the best salsa he'd ever had. He also said he wasn't going to be able to talk to anyone for the rest of the week because it was so garlicky. Not a bad thing)
    I added 1/2-1 c of white wine. i used gratitude which is a chard/sauv blanc blend).
    Then i added some chopped up tomatoes, parsley and a little jalepeno pesto. And for a finishing touch, 2 cans of black beans. Oh also a pepper. I think that's it but I'm most likely forgetting something.

    and meg. i want grandma's recipe. stat.

    ps. pork tenderloin, applesauce, and pumpkin biscuits for dinner tonight. jealous? you should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice, only 810 bottles to go! thanks for the tips, tipster.

    pumpkin biscuits...yum...

    ReplyDelete
  7. im now inspired to go make pumpkin cookies or bars still deciding and some applesauce!! and maybe get a little saucy.

    Hot Dish I <3 you!

    ReplyDelete