What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm Julia Child. Bon appetit!

I hope you all have a crock pot. I have been looking at awesome ways to utilize my C.P. after getting my amazing slow cooker cook book from danny james and megan mae for a wedding gift! since the cookbook is from williams-sonoma, I went to their website to look up more recipes. I came across BOEUF BOURGUIGNON! and like you, col, I've been dying to try it since seeing julie and julia. slow cooker + boeuf = insanity.

((((these amounts serve ten, by the way. I cut it in half and it just fit in my cooker (I think mine is a 6 qt. too). I don't know if anyone is running around with a 15 quart slow cooker and 10 friends, 'cause I sure ain't -- but if you are, then by all means...)))))

ingredients:

  • 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 5 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 5 thick bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch
    pieces
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
  • 5 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 6 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
  • 1 lb. white button mushrooms, halved
  • 1 bottle Pinot Noir
  • 1 Tbs. beef demi-glace

Directions:

Place the flour in a large bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper, add to the flour and stir to coat evenly. Transfer to a plate, shaking off the excess flour.

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Add the bacon, carrots, onions and garlic to the sauté pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker along with the bay leaves, thyme, parsley and mushrooms.

Off the heat, pour the wine into the sauté pan and set over medium-high heat. Whisk in the demi-glace and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom. Add to the slow cooker, cover and cook until the meat is fork tender, 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Discard the bay leaves.

Transfer the beef bourguignonne to a platter and serve with steamed potatoes. Serves 10.

I was trying to figure out what pino to put in the pot -- I figured that would probably matter, but everywhere I googled said it really didn't matter...the flavor of the wine won't really change and the outcome ends up being REALLY boeuffy (hahaha. oh man), not winey. so I used a cheap $6 bottle and it turned out awesome after the entire cook time. halfway through cook time I opened up my cooker and tasted a little funky -- but I don't think the wine was fully ... incorporated yet. it tasted completely different at the end of the cook time.
we didn't serve it with anything; just put the stew in bowls and ate it straight up. FJ said it was amazing but he wished that there had been something in the boeuf to cut out the richness -- I used 2 small onions and the recipe calls for a medium one, but maybe a large would have been better. or if you serve it with some green beans or something crunchier.
OH and the recipe calls for beef demiglace. I threw in some wegman's finishing sauce instead, because I couldn't find demiglace. after I came home from the store, FJ said that the butchers at wegmans give you little containers of sauce if you ask them for it - so if you want to try adding it and are at a butchers then ask them for it. you can also make your own by reducing beef stock and wine together I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment