What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

a week of good food

sometimes fj and I just get pizza and microwaveable meals all week...sometimes we are classy and really try to outdo ourselves. the latter is this week -- we are classy mf'ers around here right now. last night fj made mussels with white wine, garlic, and olive oil, with a side of italian risotto and petit peas in butter sauce. it was perfect.

Mussels in White Wine Sauce

2 lb Mussels
1/4 c Shallots or onion; finely chopped
2 cl Garlic; finely chopped
2 tb Olive or vegetable oil
1 c Dry white wine
pinch of Saffron or paprika
Snipped parsley

To clean mussels, discard mussels that have cracked or open shells. Scrub fresh mussels with stiff brush under cold running water, cleaning shells thoroughly and pulling off the "beard."* Place mussels in large pan of cold, fresh water and swish them around with hands. Drain mussels and repeat with fresh water until water stays clear. Discard any that are not tightly closed. Cook and stir shallots and garlic in oil in Dutch oven** over medium heat until shallots are tender. Stir in wine and saffron. Heat wine mixture to boiling. Add mussels. Cover and boil until mussels open, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard those that do not open. Remove mussels to bowl with slotted spoon and keep warm. Cook remaining liquid in pan over high heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over mussels. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with French bread if desired***


*debearding a mussel is easy, if you get them bearded. most places sell them debearded. rip off the little tentacles that come out of the shell by scrubbing them off.

**a dutch oven is great or a huge pot works too. you do need a pot with a lid though, and not a sauce pan or a shallow pan. the clinking noise that mussels and clams make when you stir them in a large pot makes me literally tingle with happiness.

***you will desire this. you know how people eat bread with things like spaghetti so that they can sop up all the tomato sauce? I was literally drinking the white wine sauce out of the bottom of the bowl that the mussels were in. it was SO GOOD! french bread soaked in white wine sauce...I was dreaming about it later on. I am again, now that I'm rewriting this.


tomorrow: boeuf bourguignon.

4 comments:

  1. yum yum yum!!
    You had me at French bread soaked in wine!!!

    Please post your boef borgiiinnoese recipe when you make it! I have been dying to make Julia's recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to see the boeuf!! This made me want to go out and get French bread immediately. I've been visualizing myself in a beret on a bike with a baguette in my basket alot lately. Yum thanks hannah banan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been wanting to make mussels ever since i saw a mole(sp?) and frite(sp?(again)) special on the food network!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont know anything about moles. but frites sound nice.

    i had this for dinner tonight! Almost exactly the way you described except I added a little salt and pepper and vinegar because last night I had raw oysters with a champagne mignonette. The chef gave me the recipe and i thought it would go great with mussels. I also served it over whole wheat pasta with fresh parmagiano reggiano. YUMMMERS. also was licking my fingers and sopping it up with bread. LOVE FEST

    ReplyDelete