What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's good to be me

It's good to be me, because on a Sunday night after an entire afternoon of walking around Old City with Dan, I can come home tired and hungry and find a lb. of frozen fresh bass in my freezer. Caught by my Uncle Jerry, given to me by my grandpa, this fish has come a long way to serve the purpose of satisfying me with a tasty and healthy meal when i most needed it!

I got this recipe online from Cooking Light. I actually followed it very closely and added a superb side salad. I happened to have all of the ingredients and found it very tasty and was happy to know that it had a mere 247 calories per serving.

Sauteed Bass with Shiitake mushroom sauce

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 1/4 cup sauce)

Ingredients
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinned bass fillets
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preparation
1. Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over fish. Add fish to pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; cover and keep warm.

2. Add mushrooms and sesame oil to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add the green onions and remaining ingredients to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Serve with fish.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 247 (28% from fat)
Fat: 7.6g (sat 1.2g,mono 3.2g,poly 2.4g)
Protein: 33.2g
Carbohydrate: 6.9g
Fiber: 1.7g
Cholesterol: 140mg
Iron: 2.9mg
Sodium: 629mg
Calcium: 49mg

I served it with a spinach and mandarin orange salad with red onions. I put a little orange olive oil and lemon juice on my salad, but the combination with the sauce for the fish was heavenly. Dan and I could not believe how well it went together. It was the perfect complimentary salad. I had leftovers for lunch tomorrow and one serving in the freezer and feel perfectly satiated tonight. I highly recommend this dish!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I read this post and think that when you say Sauteed "Bass" You are speaking of a large stringed instrument instead of a fish.. it makes me laugh and picture A.J. getting hungry at Johnnys and frying up his bass... bass prob tastes better.

    ReplyDelete