What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A New Twist on Butternut Squash

If there is one thing I love during the cold months of the year, it is butternut squash soup. The question always is how to prepare it. I have made a variety of butternut squash soups adding and a subtracting various vegetables, stirring in new spices, pureeing the squash, cubing the squash:  the possibilities are endless...
I believe I may have already written a post on another squash soup variety, however, last night I stumbled upon a delectable combination that I had to share. For those of you who do not savor butternut squash soup with the same zest as I, my apologies. For those of you who do, be prepared for a savory sensation.

Butternut Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Heat 1 Tbl. Olive Oil. Add 1Tbl. Curry, 1Tbl. Cumin, 1 tsp Ginger, 1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper.
Cook for a few minutes. Add 1 medium Onion and a few cloves of Garlic (chopped). Add a spash of Vegetable Broth and Simmer until onions and garlic are cooked down and your kitchen smells of a spicy aroma.

Add 2 cups more of vegetable broth and a cup of water. Cube 1 Butternut Squash and add to the mix. Cook on medium heat until squash is tender.

In the meantime, cut 2-3 Red Peppers into quarters. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven at 375 for about 15-20 minutes or until browned and roasted looking. Flip halfway through.

Bake to the pot.... When squash is tender, scoop out and puree in your food processor or use an immersion blender if you are so lucky to own one.
When peppers are finished, remove and chop into smaller pieces. Stir into soup and BAM!
Dinner is served!

2 comments:

  1. do you have a food processor? we have a normal blender but I hate using it for stuff like this. what do you have? and why are you so hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a food processor. I bought if for like 20 dollars at Big Lots (only thing I have ever bought there) and it is the best thing EVER!! Get one you won't regret it. It is also fabulous for making hummus, pesto and homemade bread crumbs out stale bread.

    ReplyDelete