What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Monday, February 28, 2011

Squashtastic truly Bombastic

Some things you should know before you read the following recipes.

A) I just got bangs ("fringe" as our French foreign exchange student neighbors in Portka would say, eh Allie Mae?).

B) I just acquired some new Kitchen gadgets such as a vegetable steamer (looks like a UFO), Wire Wisk, and scale (not featured in this hot dish post). One of the happiest days of my life. Please, no one give me a Kitchen Aide mixer, I may keel over and die from cardiac arrest.

C) I'm reading this FAB book "French Women for All seasons: A year of secrets, recipes, and pleasure" by Mireille Guiliano. Basically thee best reference I have found for simple french recipes, weight loss tips, and we have lifestyle similarities in that we love indulging in wine, chocolate, and cheese. She mentions meats briefly and I dont think she truly understands, but well, theres no meat lovers I know like the hot dishers (here come the hot steppas ...Muuuurrrdurrrahh).

So for dinner tonight Dan and I had Asparagus with Mayonnaise and Spaghetti Squash with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.

Now, I must say that I personally think that Mayonnaise is the most disgusting and strange substance ever. That was before I read this book and her description of dipping the asparagus into the mayonnaise and licking her fingers had me forgetting all the years of abstaining from mayo on my sammies and the like. Also, I felt like if I made it myself it would not be as gross.

Another strange foodphobia that was conquered in this dinner was Dan's loathing for squash. On our first dinner date, I cooked him a ham hock glazed in honey mustard with a side of butternut squash and paired it with a Zinfandel. He happened to hate squash (he says its the texture). In any case, the spaghetti squash was enjoyed by both of us and we had huge amounts left over.

Now to the recipes:
Asparagus with Mayonnaise
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1-2 tsp sherry vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
2/3-1 c. Canola Oil
sea salt
white pepper (I used black, but I dont discriminate)
16-24 asparagus stalks, blanched

Directions:
1. In a warmed bowl (fill it with boiling water and let stand for a few minutes..really, do this)whisk together the egg yolk, mustard, and vinegar. Slowly, by droplets, whisk in the oil until at least half has gone in (seriously, droplets are of the essence here...i allowed them to spill slowly from my measuring cup, but too much oil at a time will cause the yolk to separate and your goal is to emulsify). This mixture will continue to thicken as you mix if done properly. It will actually come out almost a similar texture to mayonnaise! Or a fluffier hollandaise.

2. Continue whisking the rest of the oil, now in a thin but steady stream until all of it is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I couldnt get the taste right until I added cumin and ground mustard, but I also used a honey dijon mustard.

3. Serve the blanched asparagus warm on a plate. Add 2 tbs mayonnaise per person and go at it finger food styleeee!

Next Item:
Spaghetti with Feta and Sun-dried Tomatoes

Ingredients:
1 regular sized spaghetti squash
2 Tb. Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 C. walnuts (hand crushed, just squeeze them into the dish)
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to your liking
2 oz. Crumbled feta
2 oz. sliced sun-dried tomatoes
(I think this is right, I eyeballed all of it)

Directions: Cut the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds/hairy bits (no recipes that i referenced told me to do this, but when I was cleaning it later I was thinking I should have done it earlier). Place cut side down on cookie sheet sprayed with oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40mins. take out, scrape the squash out, forming spaghetti like tendrils and place in saute pan with already warmed olive oil and minced garlic. Add the rest of the spices and ingredients and combine. Heat till warmed through and serve. Yummm yumm. I have no idea how many this serves because I have enough leftovers for 2 days at least and lunch tomorrow.

Love you hot dishes. xo

3 comments:

  1. There are a million and one things I love about this post!

    a) your bangs and this book sound divine!!

    b)nothing more exciting than kitchen gadgets.
    i.I just received a lemon reamer for my birthday and could not be more thrilled.
    ii. I have been dreaming about a kitchen scale for quite some time. where did you get it??
    iii. if you and dan would finally tie the note I would buy you a kitchen aid for a wedding present... no this isn't a bribe.
    iv. ain't nothing better than a wire wisk
    c. my cousin Tom the chef once told me if you ate homemade mayo you would never mess with the other stuff again which ignites a fear and strong desire for doing such a thing. I have eaten asparagus with hollandaise and can only imagine that mayo would provide a most sensational flavor

    d. I have been having a love affair with squash lately. Alex just made a similar dish of spaghetti squash with sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts and I was Hooked!!!
    e. speaking of meat I discovered a new pork hookup at the market which I will be referencing in my next post.
    f. I miss my philly cats a boat load. That picture of Dan with the tat has been burned in my mind all day!!
    I. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would love it!

    I got the Kitchen goods at a store in Philly called "Kitchen Kapers" (Yes allie, that is a hard K). It made me have quadruple orgasms.

    I may take your bribe, I do LONG for a kitchen aide.

    TOM KNOWS. Also, everyone needs a good pork hook up (T.W.S.S). LOVE YOU rochestarians and other worldly readers (We have a fan in Alaska I see from the Site map!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM - this sounds absotutes amazers. I have been looking for some good vegetable dishes.

    does anyone get the cooking channel? it's on time warner and I recently discovered it. since watching it, I've seen on THREE separate occasions people making mayonnaise and saying you HAVE TO MAKE IT and not buy it. I was watching "Two Fat Ladies" (if you've never seen it you must before you die. youtube!) and one of them was adding all sorts of amazing spices to her homemade mayonnaise. and I was intrigued...I hate mayo too.

    I'll go fiddy fiddy with you on the kitchen aid col -- kitchen aids are the shiiiit, I use mine all the time! (and don't tell FJ but I only married him so I could get mine).

    ReplyDelete