What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl of Deliciousnes

For many SuperBowl Sunday is associated with snacky food like nachos, pizza, and wings, sometimes a girl craves a hearty, home-cooked meal. I snacked at Rocco's delightful birthday party and ate some beautiful Elmo cupcakes all afternoon. Upon arriving home, I decided to forgo SuperBowl snacks and football and satisfy my month-long craving for Brussel Sprouts and Richard Gere.

Once again Saturday at the public market, filled my fridge with veggies galore and I snapped up this brussel sprout creation from months of dreaming and reading of brussel sprouts.. Why it took me this long to eat some I may never know.

Winter Brussel Sprout Slaw

Cook up 2-3 or 5 (you'll want to eat some) strips of Bacon until crispy and delicious.
Remove bacon from pan and eat some because you just can't help yourself.

In bacon grease, saute 1 medium Onion diced and 2-3 Apples diced.
Add 1 tsp of Sage and some Garlic.
Shred up 12-15 Brussel Sprouts and add to onion mixture on low heat.

In microwave, heat 1 Tbl. of Honey. Add 1Tbl. of Mustard, 2 Tbl. of Rice Wine Vinegar (Cider Vinegar would prob. be great too), and crumbly bacon! Mix into a sauce/frenzy.

Cook brussel sprouts until limp but not to mushy (T.W.S.S.). Turn off heat and stir in vinaigrette/frenzied sauce and toss it.
Upon completing, I thought some toasted/sliced almonds or pine nuts might be a fab addition as well??


I served this tasty concoction with Sauteed Spicy Sausage and Red Peppers and some Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
Add a side of red wine and zydeco and.... SuperBowl? What's that?

No comments:

Post a Comment