What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Monday, February 7, 2011

West African Soup

Brian and I made this soup a few weeks ago and decided that it was one of the best soups we've ever had, let alone made. It satisfies both spicy and sweet, and made great leftovers. So, we are excited to share this on our first post! (Thanks for inviting us!)

2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups of Vegetable or Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (2 cups)
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup raisins
1 bag (6 oz) spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
1 can (about 16 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Cooked couscous

1. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender.

2. Add the broth, cinnamon, red pepper, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and raisins. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

3. Add the spinach and chickpeas. Cook until spinach wilts.

4. Place about 1/2 cup of couscous on top of each serving/bowl.

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. YUM guys, i'm totally going to make this tomorrow! so PSYCHED :D I can vouch for its tastiness, and I cant wait to have a whole bowl to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delcious! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting! It's always fun to have new chefs on here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight! Some modifications due to availability: I used butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes (I almost made your soup col but didnt have enough peppers!)and used peas instead of garbanzo beans. It was deeelish and I have lots leftover :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this recipe it is so delicious!!
    I have made it twice so far and both times were a smashing success.
    Some twists that were delish. Once I substituted diced tomatoes for some salsa and tomato sauce (all that was in the fridge). Great flavor.
    Another I used kale instead of spinach (again all I had). So great!

    ReplyDelete