What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Thursday, May 19, 2011

moules frites

subscribing to saveur magazine -- maybe, just maybe -- was one of the best decisions I have ever made. they have themed issues and may's was mexican in honor of cinco de mayo ...but nestled in the pages among the potato tacos (will try and share soon) and beans and rice waaaaaas MOULES FRITES!

with me being a french connoisseur and all (by that I mean I took it for a while and remember how to say je parle francais, ah oui oui, comme ce comme ca, you're what the french call les incompetents), I remembered that frites means fries so of course anything with fries is fine by this kid. I read on -- the article was called "a national obsession." vewwwy vewwwwy intewwesting.

french fries and mussels are the fish and chips of belgium. not only was I enticed about how well the pair would taste together, but saveur insisted on making your own mayonnaise to dip the french fries in. I thought I'd take a crack and that like you did, Megan Mae -- and everything came out wonderfully. was so easy to make but so light and delicious. F called the mayonnaise the surprise hit of the meal -- I personally loved the juice from the mussels at the bottom of my bowl (so much so that I wanted to leave my dutch oven on the stove for a few days so I could smell it's celery-buttery goodness in my kitchen).

okay, enough of that - here you go, moules frites (serves 2):
for the mayonnaise:
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
1 cup canola oil, plus more for frying
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

for les frites:
2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4″-thick sticks

for les moules:
2 1/2 lb. mussels, debearded and scrubbed (you can find them in a cute little bag at your friendly neighborhood seafood store - they're cheap as dirt too)
2/3 cup dry white wine*
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
3 ribs celery, finely chopped*
1 1/2 leeks, light green and white parts, cut into 1/4″-thick slices*
1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped*

*you can do whatever you want with these ingredients - we used harpoon belgian pale ale (also had one as my beer pairing during the meal) instead of white wine. we used celery and onion instead of adding leaks. you can add garlic, cream, curry, etc. to your taste if your heart so desires.

to start:
make the mayonnaise. in a large bowl, whisk mustard and egg yolk. whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in oil in a thin stream until it begins to emulsify. whisk in vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. set aside (side note: how did you do this without a kitchen aid MM? I did mine with my whisk attachment and had the thing on the highest level and it took so long because you have to add the oil so slowly. you must have some real guns on that bod of yours). (another side note: aioli is mayonnaise made with olive oil instead of canola and you add garlic to it. I think that'd be fantastic for this recipe).

make the fries: pour oil into a large pot to a depth of about 2 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°. add potatoes and cook until tender (about 8 minutes). using a slotted spoon, transfer fries to a rack and let them cool.

increase oil temperature to 385°. working in batches, add chilled potatoes back in their little hot tub and fry them until golden brown and crisp for about 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, return fries to rack; season with salt.

make the mussels: heat a high-sided skillet over high heat (we used my dutch oven). add mussels, wine/beer, butter, celery, leeks, onions or veggies of your choice. season everything with salt and pepper and cover. cook 'em and stir them every now and then until all mussels are opened for about 5 minutes.

divide between two bowls with the fries on the side. dip fries into mayo and make sure you lick your fingers and drink the liquid at the bottom of your mussel bowl. ahhh.

paired with, in case ya missed it, a harpoon belgian pale ale.

7 comments:

  1. Holy Deliciousness This sounds soooo good for so many reasons!

    a. The thought of seafood in butter makes me super happy. #1 reason I love the mendon carnival is their buttery clams and I think this may surpass that.

    b. I love your beer pairing sounds refreshing and freaking delightful

    c. Homemade mayo makes my heart sing. I used megan's recipe and it was oh so satisfying in every way possible. PS i whipped my by hand and didnt even think to use the kitchen aid!! Next time I will make my life easier

    d. I have heard that mayo and fries are divine and thought it sounded gross but now that I think of homemade mayo I have left these thoughts behind.

    2QUestions
    1. Where do you buy your mussells??
    b. How could you forget our favorite French phrase.. Ou est ma claaaassee? Il est absente??

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was really good and super easy. the kitchen aid made the mayo thing so easy - I can't imagine having to whip and drip drop the oil in there. next time, baby, next time!

    1. FJ brought them home from wegmans. a 2lb bag is $5 buckeroonies. they come debearded and scrubbed already.
    http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=684023

    b. ils sont malaaaade!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a. this sounds delish.
    b. did you see the bobby flay throwdown w. moules frites?
    i love him.
    c. i think it's so funny that mussels have 'beards.' what a freakin riot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO, I didn't see that throwdown! that's awesome. I do love me some bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude you need to check this out!!! A whole posting of recipes featuring Aioli!!!http://www.food52.com/blog/2133_editors_picks_aioli?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+food52-TheAandMBlog+%28The+A%2BM+Blog%29

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum yum yummmmm! what a dream. Does anyone else remember allison posting something about "moles frites" on here? I thought she was a crackhead and then walked by a sign one day that said moules frites and realized what she was talking about. Reading this recipe and her comment makes me think that she knew what she was doing the whole time and I'm actually the crackhead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. also, tickets to the gun show are available...as I will be kitchen-aide less until I marry Dan according to a recent bribe by Colleen. I cant wait to make aioli now!

    ReplyDelete