What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Monday, May 16, 2011

Rhubarb Into Spring

I never ate rhubarb until about three years ago, but once I crossed over to the tart side their was no going back. Since food is the main thing on my mind most of the time, nothing signals spring to me like some fresh rhubarb and asparagus. At the public market last weekend, I happened across a nice young father and his son selling rhubarb so I bought and out of my little bundle of seven rhubarb stalks created two new delicious recipes.

Rhubarb Round One
Apple Rhubarb Crisp
This recipe was inspired by a Monica's Pies customer who upon seeing our Strawberry Rhubarb pie...
Man: Do you have Apple Rhubarb Pie?
Me: Apple-Rhubarb Pie? Never heard of such a thing?
Man: Never heard of it?? OH MY!! It is the most delicious kind of pie ever!!
Me: Hmmm I'll have to try it sometime.

And I did! Now this is not a popular combo because the seasonality of rhubarb is spring and apples is fall... However with the modren technology of today, a combination is possible. Per example: Last fall, I had rhubarb in my freezer from spring and used it to make an apple rhubarb pie for a birthday party... Smashing success!
This weekend, I bought fresh rhubarb and wintered over apples (not prime for eatin but perfect for baking) and created this crisp because I was too lazy to make a crust.

In a bowl combine, 3 sliced apples, 3 chopped stalks of rhubarb, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/8 tsp of nutmeg, 1/2 an orange juiced. Put in the bottom of a 9x9 baking pan. In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of butter and 2/3 cup of flour. Combine with a fork until crumbly. Add 1/3 cup of oatmeal. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
Pop into a 350 oven. Bake for the amount of time it takes to drink a beer on your friend's porch (Approx. 45 min.) Come home and remove from oven. I served this with a dollop of creme fraiche on top. It would also be fab with ice cream or whipped cream or just plain.

Side note... If you don't eat it all for dessert, this is amazing heated up the next day for breakfast with a cup of coffee.

Rhubarb Round 2
Pork Tenderloin with Rhubarb Chutney
Chop 2 cloves of garlic. Combine with 1 Tbl of olive oil, 1 Tbl of rice vinegar and 2 Tbl of cumin. Massage into your pork tenderloin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes or until temperature is 165. (I know you all have made pork tenderloin before!)

Now for the new exciting part... Rhubarb Chutney!!
In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup of sugar, 3 Tbl of balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp of ground coriander, 1 tsp of cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup of chopped rhubarb, 2 chopped green onions, some craisins if you desire ( I only had a few so put what I had. It would be great either way). Simmer about 5 minutes or until rhubarb is cooked. Remove from heat and let cool.

When tenderloin is done, slice and top with chutney. I served this with a side of steamed asparagus and a Dry Riesling from Dr. Konstantin Frank's. Perfection.

1 comment:

  1. Rhubarb! Shit yea--getting fancy over the weekend, I had pickled rhubarb with foie gras and i nearly peed. WOW GOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete