What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Making Spinach Less Healthy and Way more Delicious

Sunday I attended a community dinner barbeque. I had just returned home from Oneonta and was not in the mood for an extensive cooking experience or for going to Wegmans so I created this little dish from the contents of my cupboard and a bag of fresh spinach I bought at the farm stand (freshly picked that morning).

Spinach Bacon Salad

In a small pan, cook up 6-8 strips of bacon (I alway lean toward more so I can eat some before).

Rinsh bag of baby spinach leaves. Chop up 1/4 cup of onion and add to leaves.

When bacon is done cooking combine 2 tsp of bacon grease, 2 Tbl. rice vinegar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, basil (fresh or dried), 1/4 tsp of cayenne, 2 tsp of maple syrup. Whisk together or combine in small jar and shake it up baby. Pour over spinach and onions and toss to coat.

Top spinach with crumbled bacon, 1/3 cup of chopped almonds, 1/3 cup of sunflower seed meats, and some shredded asiago cheese.

We ate this with sausage (of course), grilled corn and potatoes and pasta salad.
Summer has arrived ladies and gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment