What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pigs Know How to Make Good Meat

Much to my delight, on a recent trip to the Rochester Public Market I discovered a delightful man who sells all sorts of grass-fed meat. His name was Joe and I purchased from him a set of pork chops.. The only question remains how to cook these little babies. I searched some books and surveyed the contents of my fridgedaire and came up with the following.

Pork Chops in Mushroom-Red Wine Sauce

In a pan, saute 1 Tbl of butter and a few cloves of garlic.
Place chops (two) in pan and brown (about 2 min. per side).
Place chops in a baking pan with about splash or two of vino (I used red because its all I ever have but if you want to use white....by all means).
Season both sides of chops with salt, pepper (you lika the peppa!!) and sage.
Cover baking dish and pop in the oven for 10-15 or until juices run clear and they are cooked through.

In the meantime...
In previous pan with garlicky buttery flava, add half of an onion to saute. Slice some baby bella mushrooms (about 8-10) (or any variety you wish) and brown up. Add 1/2 cup of red wine and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Simmer until sauce reduces to half the quantity. Remove pork chops from oven and cover with your yummy sauce.
I served this with mashed potatoes, green beans and some more red wine in a glass!

4 comments:

  1. YUMMERS. Joe Knows. Also, cant go wrong with pork, EVER. Mmmmm Peppa boi?! Love it coll :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe but substituted White wine (I left my box o' red at a friends!!eep!) and instead of mushrooms and green beans I made an apple slaw with:

    1 Medium apple, cored and cubed
    1 cup sauerkraut
    2 tb. golden raisins
    few splashes white wine
    few splashes red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp. apple cider (i just happened to have some on hand but would probably have substituted brown sugar or honey...anything sweet)

    I also served this with garlic mashed. One hell of a night I say :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm yumm! I just made some coleslaw with a freshly purchased cabbage from the market and smothered it in homemade mayo!!!! SOooo good! Apples would have been a prime addition!

    ps i think you actually supposed to use white wine for sauce but this kid only keeps reds in the house.

    ReplyDelete