What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'm soooo tired

colleen and I just kicked the gym's ass and I'm so tired that I will not be remotely funny enough to entertain yous guyses...so I'm just here to drop off a recipe.

(as an aside, is there anything more lovely than zesting things? I have a zester on the side of my cheese grater. I LOVE zesting. it's so so so satisfying and I love the noise it makes and the smell...it's okay. I'm done.).

Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake
Butter for greasing pan
3 blood oranges (or normal oranges)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk or plain yogurt
3 large eggs
2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 3/4 AP flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter a 9x5 in loaf pan. grate the zest from 2 oranges and play in a bowl with sugar. using your fingers mix the ingredients together until the orange zest is evenly distributed in the sugar.

Supreme an orange: cut off bottom and top so fruit is exposed and the orange can stand upright on a cutting board. cut away the peel and the pith, following the curve of the orange. cut the orange segments out of the connective membranes and put them in a bowl. this is a huge pain in the ass but well worth it. you get good at this by the 2nd orange. break up the pieces so that they're about 1/4th inch big.

halve the remaining orange and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup...about 1/4th cup. add buttermilk or yogurt until you have 2/3rds a cup of liquid altogether. pour mixture into a bowl with sugar and whisk well. whisk in eggs and olive oil.

in another bowl mix together flower, powder, soda, and salt. gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet. fold in the orange segments and pour batter into prepared pan.

bake 50-55 minutes or until the cake is golden and a knife comes out clean. let it cool before serving.

serve with whipped cream and honey-blood orange compote:
supreme 3 more oranges - drizzle in 1-2 tsps. of honey. let it sit for 5 minutes and stir gently.

3 comments:

  1. H bomb, I really think you are one of my cooking kindred spirits. Your thoughts on zesters are my own. I wrestled a microplane (angel music ascends from an unknown depth) zester from my uncle and treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, my cheese grater is microplane too! so sharp. I would love a hand zester. I would zest all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a lemon reamer??? If you don't you need one, and I will buy you both one in honor of all things hot dishy because once you have one you will never go back!!
    I dream of having a zester... someday.

    ReplyDelete