What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
~Harriet van Horne

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Slainte!

I love Irish stew.. How bout you?

Beef Barley Irish Stew

Take one chuck roast and chop it into pieces. Soak pieces in 2 Tbl of Worchestere sauce and 1 Tbl of soy sauce. Roll in flour and brown in a pot with about 2 Tbl of melted butter. Once brown remove beef. Add 2 more Tbl. of butter. Saute 1 large onion and about 4 cloves of garlic. When you're onions are sweating, add your beef back in with a bottle of stout (Guinness is prob the most popular because I'm awesome I used the homebrew Al-gal and I made) and 1 cup of beef broth. Simmer for about 10-15.
Warning: This will fill your house with the most delicious smell evvveerr!!!
Add 3 more cups of beef broth, 3 cups of water, 5 potatoes peeled and diced, 8 carrots diced, 1 large parsnip 5 celery stalks chopped (These vegetables are all estimates. Add more. Add less. Get creative.), 1 cup of barley, 2 tsps of caraway seeds, 1 cup of fresh parsley chopped.
Bring'er to a boil and simmer this little pup for about an hour and a half. Stirring every now and again. Add more broth or water if it's too thick. Salt and pepper to taste!

Enjoy with some soda bread and another stout in your glass!!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. what'd danny james say? you can't just *remove* stuff like that, danny james.

    anyways, thank you for posting a recipe that doesn't include cabbage (barf my brains out) but includes parsnips (MY FAVORITE!!!!). I wanna try this even though SPD has come and gone. I'm 1/4 irish so I will use that as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a quarter Irish too!!! Although, I usually pretend to be more since my little name means Irish girl.
    It was delicious. The whole of Brighton High approves.

    ReplyDelete